Red Bank POP will be holding a “Free Market” in the rear yard of 242 Spring Street, Red Bank, NJ 07701
on Saturday, September 15th, from 10am – 4pm. Rain date is Sunday September 16th, 10am - 4pm
A “Free Market” is a common space where people can bring their unwanted things to give them away to others and take things that they need, all without any money exchanging hands. It is based upon the commonly practiced "gift economy", where people give of their goods and time, such as in charitable actions and volunteering. It’s socially responsible, environmentally friendly, and good to your wallet. Some also call it a free exchange, or an outside “free store”. The photo above is of a well attended Free Market held at the same location by the POP organizer, Alberto a few years ago.
The Free Market is a great community building event to meet others! Here is the Flyer
In a Free Market, there is no monetary value given to items which are donated or taken. It is not bartering, but an extension of one often does with their friends, neighbors and family. In fact, a person does not need to give anything in order to receive!
However: 1) Items taken at the Free Market are not intended to be turned around and sold at a Flea Market
or on the Internet, as this is against the spirit of the event.
2) A limit may be placed on the number of items that one may take, to discourage hoarding.
Participants may drop off stuff on Friday September 14 from 4-7pm, or on the morning of the Free Market before 10am.
Participants may come and go during the event and talk with other participants. This is a community building event!
Stuff may be displayed on tables provided by participants or on the lawn. Items may be exposed to sun or moisture.
If someone wishes to take something, he/she must provide their name and email address at the registration desk.
Anyone who has some extra time may offer to volunteer to help set up, handle registration or greet and monitor activity.
Please contact Alberto, the POP organizer using the contact form on this site if you can volunteer a bit.
1) This event is generally open to the Red Bank residents, their family and friends.
2) Participants may bring their excess stuff (items) to participate and hang out during the event to meet others.
3) Items donated must be free, legal and appropriate for all ages.
4) Items are available on a first-come first-served basis, and cannot be reserved or held for later pick-up.
5) Participants must take home donated items that belong to them that weren't given away by the end of the event. Items not removed by 4:30pm will be donated to charity.
6) Participants will be required to register their name and e-mail address in exchange for taking any items.
7) Free Market items have no monetary value and receipts are not provided.
8) The name "RedBankPOP.org", its founder and participants represent a simple group of private citizens who are not organized as a registered business nor assume liability for the free market activity or its goods.