Red Bank POP will be holding its second "Free Market” at 242 Spring Street, Red Bank, NJ 07701
on Saturday, October 20th, from 10am – 3pm. Rain date is Sunday October 21st, 10am - 3pm
A “Free Market” is a common space where people can bring their unwanted things to give them away to others and take things that they need, all without any money exchanging hands. It is based upon the commonly practiced "gift economy", where people give of their goods and time, such as in charitable actions and volunteering. It’s socially responsible, environmentally friendly, and good to your wallet. Some also call it a free exchange, or an outside “free store”. The photo above is of last months's Free Market which drew dozens of local folk.
The Free Market is a great community building event to meet others, and is designed for everyone.
In a Free Market, there is no monetary value given to items which are donated or taken. It is not bartering, but an extension of one often does with their friends, neighbors and family. In fact, a person does not need to give anything in order to receive!
However: 1) Items taken at the Free Market are not intended to be turned around and sold at a Flea Market
or on the Internet, as this is against the spirit of the event.
2) A limit may be placed on the number of items that one may take, to discourage hoarding.
Participants may drop off stuff on Friday October 19th, from 4-7pm, the morning of the Free Market before 10am or during the Free Market itself.
Participants may come and go during the event, but it's recommended to hang out a bit and talk with other participants. This is a community building event!
Stuff may be displayed on tables provided by participants or on the lawn. Items may be exposed to sun or moisture.
If someone wishes to take something, he/she must provide their name and email address at the registration desk.
Volunteers are needed to help set up, handle registration or greet and monitor activity.
Please contact Alberto, the POP organizer using the contact form on this site if you can volunteer.
1) This event is generally open to the Red Bank residents, their family and friends.
2) Participants may bring their excess stuff (items) to participate and hang out during the event to meet others.
3) Items donated must be free, legal and appropriate for all ages.
4) Items are available on a first-come first-served basis, and cannot be reserved or held for later pick-up.
5) Participants must take home donated items that belong to them that weren't given away by the end of the event. Items not removed by 4:30pm will be donated to charity.
6) Participants will be required to register their name and e-mail address in exchange for taking any items.
7) Free Market items have no monetary value and receipts are not provided.
8) The name "RedBankPOP.org", its founder and participants represent a simple group of private citizens who are not organized as a registered business nor assume liability for the free market activity or its goods.